Wednesday, April 15, 2015

If Life Gave Out Gold Stars...

I would definitely have had my hand out today :)  Last night I made a small batch of pork enchiladas. I portioned them out into three containers for lunches this week. This morning I made some fresh pico de gallo and cut up an orange to go with today's lunch. Even better, I actually remembered to take the lunch with me to work and eat it. I didn't figure out the actual calories. it may be a little higher than I want to have for lunch every day, but certainly better than I have been doing (eating out, grazing all day at my desk). I had made pulled pork the other day. To make it healthier, I trimmed as much fat as I could from the pork before I slow cooked it. I also added a good amount of peppers and onions. Then when I assembled the enchiladas I used corn tortillas and placed them on a bed of freshly chopped spinach. Then I poured on the sauce and sprinkled it with a little low-fat cheese. They were yummy!


On my way home from work I had to stop at Walmart to pick up some things for a workshop at work tomorrow (the dreaded candy and some bottled water). I was super hungry when I got there - never a good thing in a grocery store. As soon as you walk in the door at Walmart there is a hot food department. Did I mention I was very hungry? I considered some popcorn chicken or maybe a slice of pizza...I actually stopped looked at and even thought the prices were reasonable. They were packaged in slightly over-sized individual servings. Somehow I managed to move on. I hurried through the store to get the items for work and a couple things we needed for home.

I promise this is all I bought for us... The guy at the checkout asked what I was making. Nothing special, my husband just loves his spicy :) It is a near crisis when he is out of habanero sauce!


My original plan was to walk on my lunch break today, but my lunch break didn't happen. We have a big event Saturday and I am up to my eyeballs in preparations. The whole way home I debated excuses why it would be okay for me to skip doing anything 30 day Ironman related. However, I knew I hadn't done anything yesterday and I couldn't justify two days of nothing in a row. So, I made myself hop on the bike as soon as I got home. The biking was MUCH better today! There may have been a few contributing factors.  I didn't bike or walk yesterday so I had "fresh" legs. I rode a different route for most of it. I had the promise of either a back rub or a leg massage if I did at least 5 miles.  I did 6!  I am going to try to collect both prizes :) There were times throughout the ride I did want to stop, but NOTHING like the last time.  UPDATE: For the record, I chose the foot/leg massage. It was excellent :) I am a lucky girl.


I must have been feeling better during the ride. I was able to appreciate the spring beauty. I love flowering trees and baby leaves. This was one of my favorite yards. Yes, I did take this while riding...I make myself nervous sometimes.

Meal prep, sticking to the plan, avoiding Walmart junk food and biking 6 miles - that completes my appeal for a gold star today :)  Now I need to string together about 4586 more gold star days!

I have also been toying with tracking. One day, I actually tracked the whole day! If you are familiar with My Fitness Pal you know when you complete you entry for the day it tells you if you continue to have days like that day how much you will weigh in 5 weeks. It was a cruel reminder when my weight came up 30 some pounds less in 5 weeks. Oops! I forgot to adjust for the weight I gained. When I adjusted it, it came up with about 12 pounds less in 5 weeks. I would totally be happy with that.

So, all that to say, I am back to recording weigh-ins. I weighed myself when I started by 30 Day Ironman challenge and this morning I am down 3 pounds. Today,will be counted as my first official weigh-in. Sadly, I am only 9 pounds under my starting weight when I started blogging last May. At least, I didn't gain it all back (or more). And I am back on track. I am moving forward without further condemnation :)

Just for fun I am sharing a few pictures of TRASHormation projects on display in our county administration building. Each year the county sponsors a contest for local students. The goal is to make something out of trash. I think they might have changed the rules this year - it is the first time I have seen "purpose of invention" listed. The purpose of some is art, but I did enjoy seeing creatively useful pieces as well.






It was difficult to get a good angle of this one, but it was super cute in person. It is a dog made of various plastic jugs/bottles. It serves as a dog dish - see the food in its belly?

I think it is a fun program and each year I enjoy looking at the entries. Hope this makes you look at your trash in a new light.

Wishing you all a gold star day!!




Pretty Strong Medicine

16 comments:

  1. Oh what a good day indeed! I commend you for being able to snap a picture while riding. I'm doing all I can just to stay upright! LOL I LOVE the baseball bar stool! What an adorable idea! You definitely deserve that foot/leg massage AND that gold star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the pictures from the bike don't turn out, but I still have to try :)

      Delete
  2. You are one of my favorites, just so you know. Your posts always sound so bright and cheery and optimistic and I just want to be your friend. :) You inspire me, and I love following along with you on your journey! Also, those trash-formations are so cool! The spoon clock is way too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally made my day :) Part of the "therapy" that is my blog is to get the negatives out and then turn them around to positives. Thank you so much for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. Yay! You are rocking this! Well done on getting the bike ride in and getting all the food prep. You're definitely starting to snowball in the right direction. All it takes is a little momentum :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 91 biking miles to go..I am definitely feeling "mighty mo" on my side :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! So much to comment on.

    1) your enchiladas look amazing. Can you please share the recipe, or better yet, save some leftovers for me?
    2) I think our hubbys would be friends. Mine has to put hot sauce and ranch on everything.
    3) I really like the CD spoon clock! That is too cute!
    4) Congrats on being ON IT. You're awesome!
    5) OMG at today's Daily Puppy xoxox <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a recipe for the enchiladas - I just make stuff up and hope it turns out. I made pulled pork from a pork shoulder in the crockpot (pork, bbq seasoning mix, peppers, jalapenos and onions). Then I rolled the shredded pork in corn tortillas, placed them on a bed of fresh chopped spinach, poured a can of enchilada sauce on them. Baked for 20 minutes. Sprinkled with cheese and baked a few more minutes.

      Delete
  5. Good for you! I'm gonna have to show my husband the baseball bat stool, he'd love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be very cool for a man cave in the new house :)

      Delete
  6. DROOLING OVER THESE ENCHILADAS!

    And love the pix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I planned for this week I ended up picking out four Mexican inspired meals - my husband is NOT complaining :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on meal prepping and avoiding those nasty temptations. Those art projects are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to keep working the meal prep - it definitely helps!

      Delete
  8. Wow, what an awesome day!!! The food looks amazing by the way. I like things spicy as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gold star, high five, fist bump, jumping up and down for how awesome you did! Go you resisting the crap, getting out for a workout and just generally kicking butt!

    ReplyDelete