Tuesday, May 5, 2015

May the 4th - Star Wars Fun

A few weeks ago, my husband decided that this is the year he wanted to have a May the 4th Be With You Party. As you can see from our "command center" he is a bit of a Star Wars nerd.  I was in charge of food and he was in charge of games. Although, both he and my niece helped make the food and I helped with props for the games. It was a family effort :)

My husband came up with three games and had me make these voting cards and character signs.  Feel free to join in the fun with these sample questions below.


Fact or Science Fiction - My husband made statements and we voted fact or science fiction.

George Lucas was so sure the film would flop that instead of attending the premiere, he went on holiday to Hawaii with his good friend Steven Spielberg, where they came up with the idea of Goonies. 

Fewer than 40 theaters agreed to show the film initially. 

The original name of the main character was Luke Starkiller. 

Jedi, Droid or Scoundrel - My husband gave movie quotes and we had to stand by the sign for the character we thought said it. I think that game was my favorite.

Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?!

No, I don't think he likes you at all.  No, I don't like you either. 

The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force. 

Rebel or Empire - Again, my husband gave quotes and we voted if the speaker was associated with the Rebels or the Empire.

I sense something. A presence I haven't felt since...

Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon for a move civilized age. 

Well if there is a bright center of the universe, you're on the planet that its farthest from.

For each game players were awarded a token for each correct answer. Then the person with the most tokens at the end of the game was the winner. Game winners could choose either a box of Starburst or a box of Nerds.

For some reason people brought my husband presents. My sister gave him a stuffed Chewie toy that even makes Chewie noises. He took it on his bus today and the elementary kids loved it. My niece gave him a toy for Millie - a stuffed bone that says "come to the bark side."  I gave him this Boba Fett "doll". I think he might be a little spoiled.


After the games we had an Episode IV viewing.  All of the movie quotes for the games were from Episode IV so it was fun to hear them throughout the movie. My husband may or may not have watched the whole movie earlier in the day to gather all the quotes. A man has to do his research :) Vader and the Stormtrooper are on loan from the Command Center for the evening.


Sunday afternoon my husband, niece and I gathered around the table to make some themed goodies.

Lightsabers - pretzel rods dipped in white chocolate and covered with colored sugar.


Tie Fighters -  100 calorie pack Oreos with mini marshmallows.  Parenthetically, 100 calories pack Oreos are good...but calling them Oreos is a bit of a stretch :) 


A big bowl of "Space Junk."  I just threw a bunch of dry snacks (sweet and salty) together. I don't think my husband was on board with the mini lightsabers being called space junk. Oh well, one man's junk is another man's treasure. 


One of my favorite moments was when my niece arrived as her version of Darth Vader. That girl will do anything to get a laugh from her uncle.


We even had a bowling alley set up in the hallway.  Please excuse the red baseboards...they are going away soon :)  

 My nephew watching the movie and our hounds watching his snack...they are not very subtle!


It turned out to be a fun evening. I wish more people had been able to make it, but I know it is hard to have get togethers on work/school nights. We got way too much pizza. I ended up packing the leftovers in freezer bags - 2 slices per bag. It will make good lunches for us in the next couple weeks.
We both agreed it was a special evening.  We hope the kids will look back on our silly adventures as fondly as we know we will. And we are already planning next year :)




10 comments:

  1. OH this looks like so so much fun! You may have to try to move your May the 4th maybe to the weekend next year and have a better turn out! I'd totally come to one if I lived closer! Ya'll did a great job with the trivia and the games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we really wanted it on the actual day, but they may have to change next year.

      Delete
  2. What a fun party! And I love that Millie got a present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is almost as spoiled as my husband :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very happy with how everything turned out :)

      Delete
  4. So my idea is that double stuff oreos should just be called oreos and that normal oreos should be called diet oreos :p Just saying!

    And this party looks so fun! You have to give the answers to the trivia though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should take that idea to Nabisco :) I will post the answers tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. This looks like SO MUCH FUN. I am going to steal the true or false and test my husband's knowledge. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted all the answers on today's blog. It was a fun night :)

      Delete