Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Apple Time

Last weekend my mother-in-law picked up a bushel of Jonathon apples for us. I gave my sister and niece each a bag of them. I am still working on ideas for them that don't involve pie crust. There will be pie, but not a bushel of pie. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Incidentally, I am a tad disappointed the apples came in a box and not a bushel basket.
I decided to try an apple chutney. I used this recipe from Ina Garten. My only criticism is that it is a bit too vinegary. The recipe calls for a "good" cider vinegar. Perhaps mine wasn't "good'. I just used the apple cider vinegar I had on hand. My sister is planning to smoke some pork for my nephew's birthday tomorrow. I would like to taste the chutney with the pork. 
After peeling and chopping the apples for this recipe my hands were too sore to peel/slice apples for pie, so I guess that is a good way to limit eating too much pie.
Everything into the one pot and boil away with an occasional stir. "How easy is that?" -Ina Garten
Recipe made about three cups of chutney.
It is that time of year. The garden is finished. I took these pictures a few days ago. I wish my Swiss Chard didn't taste so much like dirt :( At least it was pretty.
This was definitely the year of the pepper. No matter what I did my jalapenos would not stop. We ate them, froze them, gave them away....and still the plants were covered.
I am now recruiting for volunteers to come clean up my garden for the winter.
Enjoyed another day off walk this morning. I could get used to this. Is anyone thinking Christmas?? This shrub appears to be being groomed for such a festive occasion.
 Love when the early sun is coming over the trees and illuminates just a small spot.
 I don't remember this plant from previous walks, but it caught my attention this morning.
Remember the t.p.ed tree from yesterday. I think they are waiting for rain to help them out with these high strands.
 Loving the new pavement on the stretch of road that has been horrible for years.
Waiting for my pokey dogs to their business, I couldn't resist a little art work on the windshield frost. This is more or less what Zommie would look like with a crew cut. I might of skimped on her beak :)
I know, after that, what else can I say?

10 comments:

  1. Love your art! Wow so many jalapenos! I'd totally come help with your garden for some apple chutney. (Although I've never had it..) It just sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The apple chutney was okay - I ate some on a smoked pork sandwich. I think I didn't cut the apples small enough.

      Delete
  2. The apple chutney looks yummy! :-) baked apples or fried apples!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried baked apples this might be the opportunity.

      Delete
  3. Have you made apple butter? Most recipes call for sugar but I bet you can adjust it to make it healthier. There's also applesauce, that's always yummy and doesn't need sugar. Baked apples are also super yummy! And you could make some sort of apple crumble. You could make it healthier than a pie, at least. Good luck with all of that deliciousness!

    Can't wait to see the plan for next year's garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about apple butter that is a good idea and I think I can definitely dial back the sugar.

      Delete
  4. I love running/walking on random off days... mostly because I get to do it on MY time, rather than early early morning. No idea what to do with so many apples, though I second Meg's idea of apple butter--yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely nice to choose the time - it will always be morning for me, just not quite so early :)

      Delete
  5. I could totally hear Ina saying "How easy is that" in my head :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't forget to use "good" ingredients...gotta love Ina :)

      Delete