Monday, May 29, 2017

It Gets Better

So, after all my whining at the beginning of last week, I finished strong in the workout department Thursday and Friday.

Thursday evening I came home from work and knocked out my strength training workout. The highlight of the workout was...drum roll, please...I managed 6 push ups (girl/modified)!!! That is twice what I did the previous time push ups were on the list last week. It was exciting. I actually got several compliments from my trainer on my form and even on my attitude :)

Friday, I was off work so I could do a morning workout. My trainer talked me into going to the gym with him at 4:30 a.m. (on my day off!!)  He had a challenge to complete for his workout program. He had to complete 20 circuits of the following: 10 push ups, 10 squats, 10 jumping jacks and 5 inverted rows. He had 1 minute to complete each circuit - if he finished early he could have the remainder of that minute to rest. Most circuits he had 12-16 seconds to rest.

We made a little video of one circuit....now imagine doing this 20 times!!


After he finished his challenge, we got busy on my workout. It was a little after 5a when we got started, so I was almost awake. We made this "ladder" out of tape a couple months ago. He has used it many times, but this was my first attempt. It is about 10 yards long. Each exercise was to go up and down the ladder doing different foot work.

First up, the NFL shuffle down and back.

Then the Ickey Shuffle down and back. You might remember this recent Geico commercial. Ickey Woods was a Cincinnati Bengals running back in the late 80s-early 90s (before my football fan time). Apparently, his touchdown "dance" became quite a sensation. Click here for more on the Ickey Shuffle  (#9 on the Top Ten End Zone Celebrations).
After each circuit, gasp for air, get a little drink of water...and repeat four more times. During the third circuit I didn't think I was going to make it. But somehow I got a second wind I guess. My trainer later told me that he had planned to stop me after the fourth, but didn't because he thought I had rallied. A huge challenge for me was getting my feet to go the right way. It wasn't really complicated steps, but when so much of your brain is focused on breathing, the feet just go every which way.

I admit I was relieved to have the workout finished for the day (and actually the weekend, since Saturday/Sunday are rest days).  I had planned to work in a least one walk, but that didn't happen.

Friday evening I had a relative I'd never met before coming over. I spent most of Friday baking yummy treats. For dessert I made ice cream sandwiches...one of my favorite summertime desserts. I used my signature chocolate chips cookie recipe...it also happens to be Pillsbury's recipe. I've been using this recipe for about 25 years. It is actually the only baking recipe I know my heart. One tweak - I add about a teaspoon of cinnamon.
You can pretty much mix and match any cookie with what ever ice cream flavor you like and end up looking like a culinary rock star. I prepared my ingredients for quick assembly - ice cream melts fast in the summer. Cookies, ice cream, caramel and sprinkles (my husband loves sprinkles!) - easy peasy!
The caramel was a gift from Meg at Running Just As Fast As She Can. Sanders has quite a history going back to the 1800s!  I'd never added anything to to the ice cream before, but the caramel was a tasty addition to this batch.
 Who wants one??

I was in the mood to make sweets and felt pretty safe doing so knowing I could be sharing and would only have a couple for myself. I also made Buckeye Brownie Cookies.  A ball of peanut butter and powdered sugar mixture is placed on top of the warm brownie cookie bases. This picture is prior to the chocolate coating they got after they cooled completely. I must have gotten sidetracked.
And because I just couldn't stop, I made Salted Caramel Nut Brittle. I discovered this recipe last Christmas. The salty sweetness is incredible.
And yes, I did give away the leftovers. I didn't want to, but I did. (Pat on the back for me.)

Saturday we did a whole lot of nothing except binge watch an entire season of Bloodlines on Netflix...a day we will never get back.

Sunday was another fun cooking day. With the baking out of my system I focused on more healthy recipes. My husband wants to eat more fish, so I bought some salmon and tried a new recipe for lunch. Skillet Seared Salmon with Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce. It was delicious - I currently want to eat it every day!!  I served it with grilled asparagus and corn.  My husband had his beloved sweet potato instead of corn.
Sunday morning, I had gotten sucked into watching Food Network (not an uncommon occurrence). Bobby Flay's BBQ Addiction was on and he made me want to make Greek Orzo Salad with Mustard Dill Vinaigrette.  I wasn't sure if my in-laws who were coming over for dinner liked feta, so I served it on the side to add if desired. I used fresh dill from my garden...tasted like summer. I would definitely make it again with a little tweak...less olive oil. I like my vinaigrette more on the vinegary side to stand up to the pasta and veggies. My husband thought it was a bit slimy from the olive oil.
On the same episode Bobby made Grilled Zucchini Skewers with Jalapeno Yogurt Dipping Sauce. That caught my attention because we were grilling kebabs with tons of veggies for dinner and we do like some spicy. My pesto was a bit thicker than Bobby's, so I mixed it thoroughly into the yogurt instead of the pretty swirled effect he demonstrated. I actually hate Greek yogurt so I put mine in a little light sour cream (which by the way was delicious on pita chips...I had to taste test.)
Bring on the kebab fest. I had several skewers of just veggies on another plate. I am not a big fan of cooked tomatoes (other than sauces), but grilled cherry tomatoes are so pretty.
My husband learned how to make a garlic/rosemary marinade for his steak kebabs. I simply did a spice rub on the chicken kebabs.
 My father-in-law is a charred hotdog kinda guy so we sprinkled his hotdogs between our kebabs.
We got a little carried away...so guess what we are having today?? Leftovers :)

Nothing too much on the agenda for today. I am starting Week 3 of Double-Light. Reading the schedule makes me question the "double-light" part of my training.
I see some scary things...burpees, box jumps, figure eights.

I sure hope my trainer is ready for this!!!








6 comments:

  1. Omg! That food! Especially those sweets! They look so amazing!

    Good job on keeping up with your intense workouts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes I think I should post the sweets, but I am really working toward balance in my diet. I want to be real.

      Delete
  2. NOT THE BURPEES!!!

    You've got this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting back off the floor each time is my biggest concern :)

      Delete
  3. I love everything about this post except the burpees! Those Ice Cream sandwiches look amazing and I'm definitely going to try that salmon recipe. We have some salmon at home and been dying to try to find a use for it. I only recently discovered that I like it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salmon is so good. I am thrilled that Gary is liking it too. He took some to work today. He asked if he should just heat it up in the microwave...hmmm.

      Delete