Monday, March 9, 2015

Top of the Morning 5K

The best part about "springing forward" is we get an extra hour of daylight in the evening. However, it is a bit tougher getting out of bed in the morning.  So how did we celebrate our first day of daylight savings time? By getting up extra early for the Top of the Morning 5K race. My husband, sister and friend all raced. I cheered and took pictures.
This poor pup was distraught about being left behind by his person. Seriously, he cried the whole race - he didn't want any part of being consoled.. When he finally spotted the runners coming back he went nuts. Fortunately, for him, his person was super fast and finished third in about 18 minutes.

Someone was flying a drone over the race. I couldn't decide if it was cool or creepy.
My husband makes the turn for home. I am happy to report that he was able to catch and pass the little guy in front of him.
He finished in 24 minutes and some change. I am so proud of him :)
I am also super proud of my sister. She has done a couple of 5Ks before today. But this time she ran every step of the way for the first time. The longest continuous run she has done prior to this race was about a mile!
An impressive pair of ladies. Amy (left) has been made such a tremendous difference in her life. Since March 2013 she has lost 75 pounds. I hope she doesn't mind me sharing this quote from a few weeks ago... "Let me tell ya...shoveling snow is much easier when you're in shape!" My sister (right) is currently in second place in her workplace weight loss competition. She has definitely found her groove at the gym! Keep up the great work, ladies :)
It was a bittersweet morning for me. I loved cheering and taking pictures, but I also wanted to be out on the course. I love how good racing makes me feel and am very proud of the races I've done in the last year. However, today, I felt like I'd taken a huge step backwards and I am really just the unfit friend standing on the sidelines watching life pass me by.

In rational moments, I know that is not exactly the situation. The last race I did was the 10K on November 1. During that race, I never really considered that I could be pregnant, However, a few days later, I found out that I was, It has been an emotional roller coaster since then as we struggle to get back to that place. Today, behind my cheering and camera lens, there were a few tears and a whole lot of hoping for a just a bit o' luck of the Irish.

Whichever way our current "quest" resolves itself, there is a part of me chomping at the bit to get back out on the road and racing.

*** Update:  Yesterday was "Be Nasty Day" I think my totally forgetting that just proves that I am just not a nasty person.  Of course, if you celebrated, please share :)

7 comments:

  1. You are an awesome spectator. Love the pictures!

    I'm sorry you were sad. Hugs to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do look forward to being in the race again...thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. (((HUGS))) Anna. Congrats to your sis, friend and your hubby on the race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to all of your runners! And hugs to you my friend, here's hoping that spring brings good things to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your sister look so much alike! And you'll be back to racing soon enough. Unfortuantely, you never know where life is going to take you. You're an awesome person though, so it's sure to end in a good place :)

    ReplyDelete