Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Embracing the Darkside

I rolled out of bed this morning one of the grouchiest people in 10 counties. There was absolutely no way I wanted to get up, much less go for a walk. But there is a challenge to be met.  Our wonderful ladies group issued a challenge to exercise 30 minutes each day for the next 100 days.  Why 100 days?  I promise this isn't just any old 100 day challenge chosen simply because 100 seems like a good number. These 100 days has serious meaning...to many, many people.
Incidentally, if you need to know how many days, hours, minutes and seconds from this very moment check out the live countdown.

So there you have it - the sole reason I dragged myself out of bed this particular morning. By the way, the morning felt like the middle of the night. I didn't realize how dark it still is at 5 a.m.

The crescent moon was actually quite beautiful. There were wispy clouds that gave it a ghostly appearance without obscuring the view of millions of stars. Unfortunately, the camera on my phone doesn't quite see it the same way. Trust me it was beautiful.
The temperature was already 75 degrees and I am quite sure the humidity was at least 482%.  This poor flag couldn't even catch a breeze. At one point, I saw a woman walking her dog who said "it isn't quite as bad as they said it would be."  Good thing I didn't hear them before getting out of the house or it would have been even harder to make myself get out there.
Our neighborhood has very few street lights. I just imagined each light in the distance as my light at the end of the tunnel and moved toward it.
 The most well lit spot in the neighborhood.
This was about a mile in to the walk and look my mood has already lifted enough to manage a small smile...even though it might be slightly forced :)  Seriously, as I walked I could actually feel the grouchies melting away. I am not going to try to convince you it was a complete transformation, but it was a surprising how much better getting up and moving can make you feel.
The rest of the world started to wake up too. I happen to know this particular person is retired, so I am wondering where he is off to at this hour.
 No stopping for me...I have about a half mile left to go.
 Thankfully, a little breeze picked up the last few blocks. Even the flag got a lift.
With a little more light I could see how bad this road is. They are in the process of resurfacing our neighborhood streets. I am hoping this street is happening soon. It has always been the worst stretch in the neighborhood..
 Just a little farther...
I hope you enjoyed this tour of the dark side of my neighborhood.

I am now trying to decide if I need to make a nerdy little countdown poster that I can put stickers on every time I do 30 minutes of exercise. Who am I kidding?  I am sure there will be a poster in the next day or so. Who doesn't love a good job sticker?

10 comments:

  1. Hahaha glad you got out of bed even though you didn't want to. And oops, I didn't realized the countdown started today. Lunchtime walk here I come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I guess I didn't understand the countdown. I saw 100 days and didn't factor in the 18 odd hours. And I took you down with me ;)

      Delete
  2. The dark side of the walk! That's awesome :) And way to get up and get it done today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dark side pictures :) Awesome challenge!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this!! You are so awesome for getting up early, I am a total jerk to be around when I'm forced to do morning workouts! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I walk alone...well, that and my husband runs. It can be hard to get out of bed but I am always happy to have it done and out of the way for the day.

      Delete
  5. Even though I have a hard time waking up so early for workouts, I love it when I do it! I enjoy the quiet and stillness. Of course, the humidity is 800 times worse, but we can't have it all I guess. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like the quiet and stillness too. There is something very cool about watching the world slowly wake up.

      Delete