Monday, May 12, 2014

Jumping In!


When we got Millie as a 10 week old puppy, we knew there would be lots of walking and playing with her.  In the back of my mind, I thought 'wouldn't it be great if as she grew I would lose the weight she gained?'  She is almost 10 months old and that hasn't quite happened. It seems everyone trying to lose weight is looking for that special motivation that works for them. Millie has definitely helped us to be more active as a couple. We have enjoyed taking her places and watching her explore and learn about our world.

I have been thinking about this blog for some time. Yes, I would love it to document a quick successful journey to a slimmer healthier me.  However, I don't think that is quite how it works.  The bottom line is losing weight and becoming healthier is hard work...if not we would all be "slims."  This blog will  document a life and I want to be honest about the process as it happens.

Millie now weighs 75 pounds.  I need to lose about 75 pounds.  Now it is time to "lose a puppy."  There is the goal...here is the story...

My husband's work schedule recently changed.  He now leaves the house at 5 a.m.  I don't have to leave the house for work until 8 a.m.  Three hours!  I knew there was something constructive I could do with that time.  So I started taking Millie for early morning walks.  It only took a few days for Millie to realize there was a routine and began looking for me to get ready to walk.  I just pick up my walking shoes and she is urging me toward the door.  Definitely motivating!  So for the past three weeks we have been walking 1-2.5 miles 4-5 times a week.  Losing 75 pounds is a long term goal.  To keep myself focused in the short term, I have registered my husband and I for a 10K race on June 14.  I am not a runner (yet) so I am planning to walk this race.  I would like to complete the race with a 15 minute/mile pace.  This morning I walked a mile in just under 19 minutes.  I have my work cut out for me.


I feel good about my increased activity.  I am having a little more trouble getting the eating part on track.  Let's talk about that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment