Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Peek in My Diary

Just a quick walk so our 13 year old dachshund could go.
This morning's walk was pretty uneventful. Millie walked with me because she has run two days in a row and we don't want her to stress her still growing bones. For the first half mile she was a handful...always looking for her running partner. Finally as the walk progressed she settle down and I could let my mind wander. I thought I'd been talking so much about my exercise and have not mentioned much about the food side. I have heard many people say that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I don't know if that is true, but I do believe that diet is the major factor.

I decided to share my food diary from the past three days...okay, make that four. I feel like I should include Sunday also because it was unusual.

Sunday - Total calories - 1663
Breakfast - 1 egg, Healthy Life English muffin (before 6 mile walk) / Smoothie - banana, 3/4 c frozen blueberries,  3/4 c. almond milk (after walk) - 328 calories
Lunch - 2 small corn tortillas, 1/2 c. fat-free refried beans, 1 oz. queso fresco, 1/4 c. pico de gallo - 307 calories
Afternoon Birthday Party - 2"x2" white cake, 3/4 c. homemade vanilla ice cream, 1 oz. regular potato chips, 6 tortilla chips, 2 T guacamole, 1/2 c. pineapple - 765 calories
Dinner - 1 c. Eating Well Lo Mein, 1 c. steamed broccoli - 263 calories

Monday - Total calories - 1313
Breakfast - Smoothie (banana, 1/2 c. frozen blueberries, 3/4 c. almond milk, 1/2 c. fresh spinach), spiral string cheese - 223 calories
Lunch - 2 pita bread pockets, 3 oz. deli turkey, lettuce, 1 c. pineapple, 1/2 c. strawberries - 353 calories
Dinner - Skinnytaste Flounder Piccata, 3/4 c. red quinoa, 1 c. steamed spinach - 461 calories
Snacks - 2 Midnight Milky Way minis, 1 small piece pizza - 276 calories

Tuesday - Total calories - 1334
Breakfast - 1 c. mixed cereal, banana, 1/4 fresh blueberries, 3/4 c. 1% milk  - 291 calories
Lunch - 1 oz. deli turkey, 1 oz. deli roast beef, pita bread pocket, lettuce, 1/2 c. pineapple, 1/2 c. strawberries - 206 calories
Dinner - 2 Skinnytaste Salsa Verde Chicken Tostadas, 1/3 c. cabbage slaw, 1/2 pear - 456 calories
Snacks - Gouda cheese stick, 1/8 c. almonds, 2 Midnight Milky Way minis, 1/2 c. chocolate ice cream - 381 calories

Wednesday - Total calories - 1345
Breakfast - Smoothie (banana, 3/4 c. frozen strawberries, 3/4 c. almond milk, 1/2 c. fresh spinach), hard boiled egg - 225 calories
Lunch - 1 Skinnytaste Salsa Verde Chicken Tostada, 1/4 c. cabbage slaw, pear - 295 calories
Dinner - Fajitas (2 corn tortillas, 1 flour tortilla, 5 oz grilled chicken breast, 1 c. orange peppers, 1/2 c. onion, 2 T light sour cream, 1/4 c. pico de gallo) - 447 calories
Snacks - Gouda cheese stick, 1/8 c. almonds, Midnight Milky Way mini, 2 Twix minis, 1/4 c. chocolate ice cream - 378 calories

I track my calories/exercise using MyFitnessPal. I have it set for 1650 calories, but aim for 1500. Yes, it is a mind game, but if I set it for 1500 I might think I am being starved to death. Obviously, the days I have shared are closer to 1300. I am not quite sure how this happens. I am satisfied with what I am eating. I am getting plenty of "goodies" so I don't feel completely deprived. Sometimes, I just want to stuff my face, but the temptation has passed without too many tears :)

The toughest time was Sunday at the birthday party. The food was constantly available for snacking. I have a terrible time passing up chips. I do know if I had not been tracking I would have eaten much more without giving it a second thought. I did enjoy what I had at the party. Even though I went slightly over the 1650 max. for my day, I don't feel too guilty since I had burned over 500 calories on our 6 mile walk that morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment