Monday, August 20, 2018

Not Bad for Month One


I just realized this weekend has been one month in on my new year...quick status update:

My most positive change/report is that I have done 12 blog posts! It feels really good to be back to blogging. I am constantly looking at my life for what I can share. I think it makes me appreciate what I see and what I am doing more.

The first two weeks were good and then I allowed poison ivy and steroids to derail me. Okay, I didn't "allow" the poison ivy to invade my body, but have made choices to fight it more than fight for continued weight loss. I am on my second course of steroids and I want to eat all the time. I am not proud to admit a couple times I have actually eaten cereal in the middle of the night. I seriously, never do that...ugh. I haven't been weighing myself because I didn't want to be discouraged by water retention. However, I did hop on the scale this morning just to be sure everything hasn't gone completely nuts. I am up the expected couple of pounds. Hopefully, that will be dealt with fairly quickly as the steroids taper starting Wednesday.


I had planned to get cracking on the exercise, but hot and sweaty is NOT a good mix for my skin right now. Just walking from house to car or work to car in the sun and humidity makes for an itchy outbreak.

I have been back in the kitchen where cooking is definitely a passion. I have been experimenting with new recipes and will be sharing the results - good or bad. While we are on the subject....

Do you ever look at the title of a recipe and say to yourself..."that's not going to happen"?  I am pretty sure that is what I would have said if I had just randomly ran across this recipe - Sweet Potato Peanut Stew.  However, it was recommended to me by a well-trusted palate, I mean, friend. I love sweet potatoes, but I feel like I have had a hang up about peanuts and/or peanut butter in savory applications. A local Chinese restaurant makes decent dumplings, but I can't seem to get them to leave off the oppressive peanut sauce. My friend mentioned the recipe had a really good balance of flavors that was quite interesting. As I studied the recipe, that balance came together in my mind - sweet/savory, spicy/sweet, a bit of acidity from tomato paste.

The flavors and the texture of the stew is very comforting. The peanut butter doesn't overpower the taste and gives it a lush texture. I am already imagining this on my cold weather menu. If I had one criticism, it might be it is a tad on the sweet side .I did add extra peppers from my hot pepper-palooza. I will have to think about how to balance that a bit more for my taste. The peanut butter I used was simply ground peanuts, so no extra salt. Maybe a sprinkle of crushed salty peanuts on top would be nice. Look, I am already starting to embrace the dreaded peanuts! Maybe a splash of lime juice when serving would be nice.

I confess I did make a few adjustments on ingredients because a) it was Friday night b) I couldn't wait any longer to try it c) after a long week I certainly had no desire for a grocery run. I made these substitutions to use what I had on hand:

  • Turkey stock for the veggie stock - no longer vegetarian, actual vegan
  • Fresno peppers for jalapeno - supposed to be spicier, but I think it was pretty close
  • Spinach for kale - kale might have been a stronger balancing flavor
  • Orange bell pepper for red bell pepper - red peppers tend to be a bit more flavorful

I don't think any of these changes dramatically altered the flavor - just a bit spicier. I have a couple servings for lunches this week, so perhaps I will test those add-ons above.


Another positive change I have been working on is the 15 minutes before bed tidy up. I can't tell you what a difference it makes to wake up to a tidy house - especially the kitchen!  I am at my most productive in the morning, so having a jump start motivates me to get into some deeper projects. Saturday morning I did a complete fridge clean. I took EVERYTHING out and scrubbed it down. It is always a slightly depressing job because I realize how much food I have wasted. But ultimately the results are great. Not having to fear an avalanche when you open a fridge door is a good thing. And knowing what you have on hand helps plan meals. The before - don't judge :)

After - There is still plenty in there, but it is organized...in the first place you see (top right are things that need to be eaten quickly - cut fruit, leftovers, etc. I am a little proud that my veggies/greens are taking up the two drawers and overflowing to the shelf above, but there better be some salads this week :) 

The empty space on the left was well used this weekend during my cooking frenzy. I made two batches of S'more's pudding cake. One I divided into three small pans instead of the 9 x 13 pan called for by the recipe.I bought these little plans at Dollar tree - 3 for a dollar. They come with a cardboard lid that you wrap the edges of the pan around to seal. For the record, you will use Geometry in real life. I had to figure area of these pans compared to the 9 x 13 - it was a difference of 5 square inches and that made no difference.

Poking holes in the cake before the pudding layer.
Before you freak out about me eating all this cake (you know, steroids), I all put one small pan (7 x 5).  How I need to maintain portion control! Seriously, I do love to bake and baking for others lets me do that without eating everything.
I had noticed on Facebook that our local volunteer fire department had had an extremely busy week - several structure fires and tons of EMS calls. I thought a nice treat would be appreciated. When I dropped it off, I forgot to mention it needed to be stored in the fridge. I sent a FB message and the response was they didn't expect it to last the night anyway :)

My other clean fridge win is that I was able to do this...meal prep!
 Lunches for the week. I will share the details of what all I made on this weekend's cooking marathon later this week.
Spoiler alert:  I even had a couple of pans to put in the freezer. Even if it is delicious I don't think I could eat 10 servings in a row!  Each pan has two pieces.
Now moving forward into month two building on what I have started. Looking forward to fall...is it too soon?



6 comments:

  1. Never too early to look forward to Fall! Great prep this week! My meal prep plan yesterday fizzled with some unexpected company. I'll try to do something tonight to aid with that. Until then, sammich for lunch! As always, your food look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sammichs are always good. After I looked at my prep, I kinda wished l left room for a sandwich or salad...I am not quite done with summer food yet :) Also, I have leftovers from dinner, I could use. Maybe next time I will prep 4 meals in advance.

      Delete
  2. Never too soon for fall!!! That’s my favorite season!!!

    I sooo need to clean my fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is my favorite too! A clean fridge feels SO good.

      Delete
  3. I cleaned my fridge this weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete