Thursday, January 15, 2015

Fitbit Fail??

If I keep this up I am going to become known as the needy Fitbit blogger. Please bear with me. I set a goal this week to walk 10,000 steps each day. I have to be honest, it hasn't been as difficult as I expected...until today.  I have had this nagging feeling when I am reading about all the activity people do to get in their steps that something wasn't right. I have an office job so there are not a lot of steps involved.  We have a small house and it doesn't take very many steps to move about the house.  

Earlier in the week I had an incident at Walmart. I had taken a couple of purposeful laps around the store and didn't get as many steps as I expected. A reader confirmed that pushing the cart kept my arm still and therefore, would have affected the effectiveness of the Fitbit on my wrist. I started to think if that were the case maybe my Fitbit was tracking steps from my arm motion when steps weren't being taken...for example, when I am doing dishes or brushing my teeth.  

I decided to experiment by putting the Fitbit on my left wrist. My thought was that I do less with my left hand so my results wouldn't be as skewed. Today was the first day I made the switch and suddenly getting all the steps in seems a greater challenge. 

Today that meant many trips down this hall...
 Laps around this table and back down the hall I went...over and over.
For a change of scenery I went up to the second floor and down this hall. I forgot to take a picture of the the turnaround point upstairs. It is different...a much smaller room with a smaller table. Ten straight minutes up and down the hall.  I don't think I can make myself do that every day.
Twice this week I have come home from work, in the door, changed shoes and headed straight out for a little walk with Millie. I knew if I didn't do it immediately I wouldn't do it.  And I really didn't want to fail my 10,000 step challenge!

Today Millie was a little distracted by the squirrels enjoying the 40+ degree weather.
I was a little distracted by the geese. They were headed north...did the 40+ degrees confuse them??
The reminds me of one of my favorite factoids.  When geese are flying in a V do you know why one side is always longer than the other?  Because there are more geese in it.  Yep, I can hear your groans from here...and that makes me smile :)

Someone also suggested putting the Fitbit in my pocket and it would work off the motion of my hips (will I get more steps if I really sashay those hips?)  When I am at home I tend to wear pocketless pants (read lounge pants) so that isn't always an option, but I might try doing that during the day at work.

Last night I had to finish the last 800 or so steps by marching in front of the tv while we watched our show. My husband found that a little amusing.  I might have to do a little of that tonight.  As I write this I have about 1000 steps left for the day...even after all that hall walking, Millie walking, etc.  
 
I will admit, I may be abnormally consumed by trying to figure out the accuracy of my Fitbit.  But in the end, regardless of how many steps I am actually taking, I am clearly moving more intentionally throughout the day and that, I believe, is the point.

What does your Fitbit have you doing?

13 comments:

  1. Ha! I love this one. I pace around my office all day long. I only work with a handful of people so they all know what I am doing and tease me. BUT, like you said, without it, I wouldn't ever think to do any extra moving so it helps. It's gott abe better than sitting on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am okay with a couple of people at work, but can't make myself do it when the boss is in :)

      Delete
  2. LOL about the geese. Ok so according to my garmin, if I do my morning and afternoon walks (15 minutes each) and one 30 minute walk at lunch, I usually am right at about 9000 steps. So it takes me roughly a little over an hour to get them in. I wonder if that is about the same with the fitbit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weekend I am going to try a "real" walk and see how many steps I get in 2 or 3 miles. I will let you know.

      Delete
  3. One of the things with the fitbit is that you can tell it whether it is on your dominant hand or your non-dominant hand. It basically tells it to be less sensitive on your dominant hand since you'll be using it more. Little tricks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that. I might want it to be more sensitive again...insensitive fitbits are more work :)

      Delete
  4. I feel like my Jawbone is mad at me, because I swear it doesn't give me as many steps as it used to. I love Millie, she is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my Fitbit doesn't turn on me more than it already has :)

      Delete
  5. I just ordered a FitBit today. I'm anxious to see how many - or probably how few - steps I take on a regular day. I'm in a similar situation as you - small house & desk job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore it for the first few days and didn't try to get extra steps....I got around 5000 on a regular day. Definitely gets you moving (or thinking about moving!)

      Delete
  6. Over at Take Free Bitcoin you can get free bitcoins. 8 to 22 satoshis every 5 mins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are searching for the ultimate Bitcoin exchange company, then you should choose YoBit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get FREE bitcoins over at Moon Bitcoin. 290 sat. every 50 mins.

    ReplyDelete