Wednesday, February 3, 2016

It's a Wrap

Something I forgot to mention about the weekend - especially the tournament situation. Not sure where I am going to land on the scale this week - do we ever really know?   But for the first time in I don't know how long, I felt some actual shifting in my thinking . Several times at the tournament I considered getting a snack at the concession stand, but each time I thought I am really not that hungry.  Granted, my lunch was far from stellar - nachos (just chips with cheese - not the good kind), but that is all I ate from the concession. I considered going back for a piece of pizza. It kinda sounded good, but I just wasn't that hungry. What does that have to do with anything? I have eaten plenty of things when I am not hungry.

On the way home I considered stopping for something because I knew it would still be awhile until dinner and I am rarely near an A&W. Surely, they would have something delicious. I confess my first thought was the no eating in the new car rule. I knew I would have to get out and eat the snack, then drive home. Foiled again! I decided it just wasn't worth it.

Of course, I knew I ate junk in the car on a somewhat regular basis. But, wow, I didn't realize how often I must have been doing that now that I can't. I tease my husband about the rule, but I might be secretly glad it is in place.

This week I have been trying to use up some extra deli meat so decided to try some wraps. I am going to put this out there...wraps intimidate me.  What should I put in them? Why a wrap over conventional sandwiches? Should I roll it like a pinwheel or fold it like a burrito? Which wrap is best?

I just jumped in and bought this Flatout wrap. I didn't love the flavor, it was okay, but not sure I want to get it next time. I covered the wrap with fresh spinach and drizzled a little Bolthouse Farms yogurt ranch dressing over the spinach.
 Then I topped with a combination of the meats.
I chose the pinwheel method for this wrap. Although I think in my heart (and the picture on the package) maybe wraps are supposed to be like burritos. But then that feels like they would be overstuffed and more food than I need. However, the pinwheel seemed to make sense for this filling.
The first wrap was a qualified success. Then it became the exact same lunch two days in a row. I told you I was determined to not waste the deli meat. Yesterday was a bit of a grouchy day at work. I would have loved to escape the office for awhile and find something else for lunch....that didn't happen.
So there it is all my ridiculous wrap questions. I would love to know your favorite wraps, fillings and style...please share!

Last night was class night which meant quick dinner. Omelets fit that criteria perfectly. First, I sauteed peppers, onions, spinach and crumbled turkey sausage for the filling. I love that you can just throw whatever you have on hand in an omelet and call it dinner :)
I had some leftover cheese sauce from the broccoli and cheese baked potato last week. I spread a little of it on the omelet. I am always amazed how low calorie omelets can be. This large portion is about 275 calories. I served it with garlic/cilantro roasted potatoes and fresh pineapple. I have been trying to keep dinner under 600 calories and this one was actually under 500 :)
I am looking forward to a calmer day today at work and hopefully a productive evening at home. Have a great day!

12 comments:

  1. I swear you need your own cooking show. Tell me more about those roasted garlic cilantro potatoes because they look great! Are those the small red potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would NEVER be able to speak in front of a camera...and they would see how messy I am when I cook :) The potatoes are yukon gold. I just cubed them sprinkled with garlic powder, salt, pepper and chopped fresh cilantro and baked (I think 450 for about 10 minutes).

      Delete
  2. I, alas, just don't like eggs enough to enjoy an omelet. But, yours looked delicious. I agreed with Desiree, you should have your own show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be in the mood for eggs. I think I should just stick with semi-anonymous blogging :)

      Delete
  3. I love anything in a wrap. Tuna pouches with celery and pickles......Chicken salad......I make baked egg cups 6 at a time for breakfasts and crumble them in a wrap. A wrap with anything in it is so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about doing that with my egg cups - I have tried them on an English muffin. I'll have to give that a try :)

      Delete
  4. Your food pictures make me salivate!

    Thank goodness for the no eating in the new car rule....what an eye opener it has been for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that has probably been the biggest challenge/learning experience for me. I hope I can continue even when the rule is lifted.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, yes, tell us more about those potatoes... can you come cook for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I described them on Desiree's comment above. It would be so much fun to cook together...everyone makes such great things :)

      Delete
  6. Those are great victories at the tournament! Definite progress.

    I confess I've never made a wrap. Yours look lovely though. I do eggs and omelets a lot for quick meals because they use up all of the scraps in the fridge. We should totally have a girls weekend so we can all cook together (or drink wine while you cook for us!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unless I find some wrappers I really love I probably won't be too much of a wrap person. There are so many breads I like.

    ReplyDelete