Friday, July 20, 2018

A Better Day


My brother-in-law checked out our oven last night. And surprise, surprise...it worked fine. Isn't that always the way? I am planning to fire it up tonight, but you can be sure I will do that before I start mixing up whatever it is I decide to make.  He mentioned that his oven (almost identical to ours) had intermittent issues before it croaked for real. We went ahead and order the "suspect" part, so at least it will be on hand if needed. It was only $26. If it is never needed, I can live with that as an insurance cost.

Yesterday was a drastically better day for my meal enjoyment.

Breakfast -

An old standby - chicken, kale, and sweet potato topped with an over easy egg. I've actually eaten this three days in a row. It makes me feel super healthy first thing in the morning.


Lunch -

As I mentioned yesterday, I was planning to have Subway for lunch to reset after after my unappealing lunches the first two days. It was a good sandwich. 
Dinner -

Salmon - How is salmon a healthy food??  I have no idea - to me it is so decadent. I simply sauteed it with no seasoning and it was perfect. I picked up the beans at the farmer's market.  I don't know the variety, but they are flatter than regular green beans. Such great flavor too!  Hummus on bread and Bing cherries rounded out the meal  I loved EVERYTHING about this dinner...all 505 calories of it!
I know this is going to sound a bit disingenuous, but I swear it is true. I ended up leaving 275 calories uneaten because I truly was not hungry. Sure I could have eaten them - there is always room in my tummy for a snack.  I am trying to be better about seeing food as "fuel" for my body, not just eating for the sake of eating.  I felt good, so I left it there.

I bought blueberries and strawberries last night.  That called for a different breakfast - "berry explosion" oatmeal. I will probably be on this for a few days - until the berries are gone. I do like variety of meals, but breakfast is the one meal I can eat the same thing over and over.

The main reason I wanted to include this picture is to show the other side of the glass I used last night. I am in love with my vintage glasses. I pick them up at yard sales and resale shops. My mother-in-law gave me this one for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. It is kinda perfect for us...my husband obliviously mowing and throwing grass on my project. Aren't we adorable? :)  There are many more glasses on my wish list, but I might have to purge a few of my less favorite glasses to make room.

This is the set I am currently eyeing. I saw it on eBay a couple weeks ago, but didn't buy it. I have a couple of them. I need to take an inventory of my current collection. There have been a few broken along the way and I need to update my wish list.
I am hoping to get in some exercise this weekend. My husband has been getting up early to run. As long as it is not too crazy humid, I think I will go with him and walk while he runs. 

What are your plans this weekend?

6 comments:

  1. Hopefully the spare ‘emergency’ part for the oven isn’t needed...and if the oven does it’s ‘mean Routine’ of not working again the spare part will do the trick! I have been sitting and cringing. We live in an apartment at the moment...our fridge ‘clicks’ and my significant other (an appliance repairman) has declared the compressor is going bad. Luckily it’s not our responsibility to replace...but I don’t want to lose a fridge full of food...and you know it will go out the day I fill it with the upcoming weeks groceries. Hahaha

    I’m so glad you talked about your glasses! I was reading your post and looking at the pictures (your food looked amazing and you did fabulous with eating by the way!) and had actually gone back to look at the glasses and was planning my comment about your cool glassware....then I read onward and saw that you talked about them! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that fridge - hopefully, it will stroke before grocery day. The glasses are definitely my little day brighteners :)

      Delete
  2. How in the world do you get your food to look so pretty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww..thanks :) I just play around with arranging it and try to get more colors in (color variety is good for nutrients too).

      Delete
  3. Good weekend and I have always admired your glasses! (Me thinks you SHOULD get the set on Ebay) and you also need some Star Wars glasses to accompany your Warner Brothers Cartoon collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have one Star Wars glass (stay tuned). I rarely see them in the vintage shops/yard sales. I kinda like the thrill of the hunt, but may make and eBay purchase or two ;)

      Delete