Friday, July 27, 2018

Friday Fly By

Celebrating Friday with a few random pictures...

I have two go-to breakfasts - oatmeal and my sweet potato/kale hash. I was missing key ingredients for both the other day, so I whipped up a veggie omelet.  Inside the omelet I had sauteed spinach and zucchini. I chopped dill and added it to the eggs. Then topped the whole thing with fresh cherry tomatoes and a bit of feta. I am not really a fan of cooked tomatoes, but the raw on top was very tasty.

I bought these tomatoes at the farmers' market last weekend. I was drawn to the yellow ones (Peach Garden Tomatoes) for their matte skin. You can tell a little in the picture if you compare to the red one. Description from the Burpee seed catalog -  A unique heirloom tomato, Garden Peach was reputedly introduced to US gardens in the 1860s. The small, velvety-skinned 2-3 oz. fruits have rich full flavor. The prolific vines unleash multitudinous 3-4" round fruits with peachy-yellow skin and flesh woven with hints of red throughout. Indeterminate. If I can ever be free of the tomato snatching squirrels, this is a variety I would like to try in my garden. They have very good flavor.


My husband was a very happy man last night. He is currently in love with fruit salsa - I've made peach and mango. Last night we had grilled chicken tacos with mango salsa. We love the sweet, spicy combo. I made it just like my pico de gallo except sub fruit for tomatoes. I do not like the recipes that use both the fruit and tomatoes together.

It is strange to me that I am loving the mango. For as long as I can remember, I have been anti-mango, but suddenly here I am truly enjoying them.
I broke down and bought a new food scale. I was constantly super gluing the previous one back together or buying new batteries. I admit the selling point for this one was its sleek red shape. Fingers crossed it holds up well. Weigh all the things!

Lunch prep.  I have the last piece of Corn Zucchini Pie - a bittersweet day.  The salad is Chopped Feta Salad from Skinnytaste. I brought the empty container to shake it up with the dressing right before lunch. Remember the Salad Shakers at McDonald's? I thought they were weird (and I didn't go to McDonald's for their salads!), but now I get it. I don't like a lot of dressing on my salads and to be able to evenly distribute a little vinaigrette makes me happy.
I had to stop at Walmart on my way into work this morning to pick up candy and water for workshops we host. While I was there I picked up some balsamic glaze for a recipe I am going to make this weekend.  This was on the shelf next to it. I am a bit turned off by anything "must".
Magazine cover judging is a fun check out lane pastime. I am guessing "milkshake bliss" is not the key to losing 22 pounds in a week.  But if it is, sign me up! 
I found this in my purse this morning. I think I must be in a good place if I completely forgot this has been in my purse for at least a week and a half. But now that I know...I might have to work it into my plan. Calorie-wise that would not be a problem, but I have been making a real effort to not so much processed sugar. I try to ask myself is this worth it?
Thanks for joining me on this Friday fly-by.  I am happy to welcome the weekend. We are planning a bunch of yard wok since we have a break in the heat. I will be getting some exercise whether I like it or not. I also plan to spend a little time in the kitchen. I am excited about one thing in particular and will probably post about as soon as I try it.

What are your plans?

2 comments:

  1. You are doing great! And your food looks fantastic!!!

    My vote...work the candy into your food budget...as long as it won’t send you in a downward spiral! Total restriction will only lead to a failure in the future when you DO cave for the sweet treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I planned to do. Fortunately, I had not eaten when a bigger more exciting treat showed up - which I ate instead.

      Delete