Sunday, July 29, 2018

Watermelon Tasting

In addition to all the ridiculously hot weather, this has been the summer of the flavorless watermelon. I finally got one that deserved to be celebrated.


From left to right:

1) Double Serrano Watermelon Bites  I have been excited about these since I found the recipe in my Cooking Light magazine. A watermelon cube is simply wrapped in Serrano ham, then topped with a slice of Serrano pepper. basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. The balsamic glaze is a substitute for the pomegranate molasses that I couldn't find. Since I was using the balsamic, I decided to use basil instead of mint (as called for in recipe). My one criticism is the finish. The watermelon disappears quickly as you chew. Then you are left with a glob of the chewy ham at the end. The flavors combination is tasty. I just wish you got the taste of everything all the way through.

2) Watermelon Feta Salad I used the flavors of the recipe, but cut way back on the olive oil. I am not always the biggest fan of mint and was tempted to substitute. However, in the end I used the mint. It was really nice in combination with the salty feta and sweet juicy watermelon. The lime juice pulled it all together with a bit of tart.

3) Watermelon sprinkled with Pico de Gallo seasoning. I found the seasoning at a Mexican and Honduran restaurant with a little shop attached. I'd only known pico de gallo as the fresh tomato salsa that I adore. I was intrigued by the seasoning and later learned it is used to season fruit. Super simple and a nice pop of heat with that cold juicy watermelon.


5 comments:

  1. So what watermelon plate was your favorite??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to choose. Honestly, I enjoyed them all, but ultimately plain old watermelon works for me.

      Delete
  2. Look at you, trying new things! I like the idea of the seasoning on watermelon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you try it...big impact with no effort.

    ReplyDelete