Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Cool Weekend

It has been a ridiculously hot summer since the beginning of May. If I remember correctly, we had precisely 3 days of spring. This weekend we got a major break in the heat - lows around 60 and highs around 80. We took well advantage of the cool weekend.

We celebrated our Millie - five years old. It doesn't seem possible.

My weekend started unofficially with this gigantic cupcake. My sister surprised me at work with this caramel chocolate cheesecake monster. Good thing I hadn't eaten that candy bar yet. Who knows how many delicious calories were in the cupcake. At least, I made it last the rest of the day.

We had a Friday night date night. We tried the burgers at a local ice cream/burger place. We both agreed we'd be back - hopefully not for awhile though :)


The weekend was a balancing act food-wise. More treats than I had planned, but the rest of the meals were on point and I was definitely proud of myself for not allowing a total free-for-all. Saturday lunch was a delicious turkey veggie wrap with hummus.

Loads of yard work helped balance the treats too.  We worked for hours each morning - three truckloads of yard waste gone. We took down part of the fence, trimmed bushes/trees, cut down the weed trees that keep growing in our back fence, weeded flower beds. I started each day with a quick fried egg sandwich on wheat bread - slightly more healthy than the white bread version I loved as a kid.
We took advantage of my in-laws being out of town and used their truck to haul away the yard waste.
I can't believe we ended up with with this much stuff. It is going to make quite a bonfire!
I was pleased with my energy and stamina for the yard work. I am pretty sure I didn't start complaining until the second day and that was mostly because I hate weeding. Although, I haven't started exercising regularly, eating right has already made my whole body feel better.

Saturday afternoon my sister asked me to go to Whole Foods with her. I haven't been there in forever, so even though I was exhausted I jumped at the chance. It was fun to look around at items I don't find in my local grocery stores.

I have never thought of produce as food you would buy in a "party pack", but why not?
I couldn't resist trying a couple of these blueberry sausages, especially after I heard the guy behind the counter tell another customer they were his favorite item in the case. They were good, but I don't need to rush back for more.
I brought my hard-working husband home a little treat. I appreciated all the signs with the calories. One of my pet-peeves with calorie counting is trying to guesstimate calories - I want it to be exact or it feels like I am cheating.
I bought one serving of this Golden Beet salad which I had for lunch today. It was good and again I was very glad to know the calories. It almost stopped me from buying it because 200+ seemed a little high for a salad to go with my lunch.
 A fun little wedge salad bar. Again, above where the calories for each item.
 I got a little bit of this and that - a tasting menu of sorts.
It was fun to see and taste new things. I really wanted to bring home a hunk of goat's milk Gouda they had out for samples. I sampled and I might have circled back for a second taste - don't judge. But at $18/pound it was too extravagant to take home a hunk.

Sunday afternoon my mom and nephew came over for the watermelon tasting. See here for details.

It was a very good weekend. A nice balance of productivity and relaxation. A nice balance of treats and healthy choices. I am looking forward to living my life more like this weekend.

8 comments:

  1. Millie did not look overly pleased to be so festive!!! Hahaha

    It sounds like your weekend was a great one...well balanced. You may have tasted and lived a little more than you planned/wanted to...but you were active and healthy! Great job! And looks fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't mind. All I want is balance :)

      Delete
  2. Great weekend indeed and a good balance! Happy birthday Millie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cupcake that your sister brought looked ridiculously good!

    I love Whole Foods, but their prices make my brain hurt. But, you know, where else you find blueberry sausages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they aren't the cheapest, but it is fun to treat myself sometimes. I saw a package with a recognizable brand name at Whole Foods that day, but I can't find it online. I did find this recipe while I was googling. http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/09/maple-blueberry-breakfast-sausage/

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a nice balance. I love getting little tasting treats from stores.

    ReplyDelete