Friday, June 23, 2017

Fun and Not So Much Fun


Whenever I ask my husband if he wants the good news or the bad news, he ALWAYS chooses bad news first.  So, let's start with the "not so much fun" first. 

Yesterday was "Jacked Up Thursday."  My cardio/HIIT workout was as follows:

30 seconds jumping jacks
15 seconds plank jacks
30 seconds jumping jacks
30 seconds rest

Repeat 5 times


It is during the cardio workouts that I really feel what poor physical shape I am in. This workout didn't sound like much, but it wrecked me. To be fair, maybe it wasn't all on this particular workout. Wednesday, I did an intense ab workout, by Thursday afternoon my ab muscles really began to complain about the prior day's treatment. You know the soreness...it is uncomfortable, but it does feel a bit like a badge of honor for the workout you did. However, when your abs are already sore the extra (I don't know how to put this delicately) let's call it ."flab" flopping around creates a much more painful jumping jack situation. I was probably 15 seconds in when I realized I was in serious trouble.
 
There was no way in my mind I could endure it for the full workout. Thankfully, my trainer agreed after the first set to let me do a line hopping move I'd done previously. Sadly, it was still quite difficult from a cardio standpoint, but not as painful. Thirty seconds seemed like an eternity every single set. 


Sorry there are no pictures of the "plank jacks" - there was a wardrobe malfunction and no one needs to see my hiney peeking out. Anyway, plank jacks are done in the plank position. Then hop your feet out to the sides and back in (like horizontal jumping jacks). They were hard and my toes kept slipping on the wood floor. Maybe it would have been better on carpet. I did my best, but it was not pretty. 

It turns out sometimes I get mad when I am working out and I vent. My poor trainer might need earplugs. Full disclosure - there was a post workout pity party complete with tears. Strength training makes me feel more empowered and cardio makes me feel like a failure because I am so out of shape. Gasping for breath and feeling every part of me jiggle seriously makes me feel bad about myself. I know it is a phase that I am going to have to power through and I will, but this is where I am with it at the moment.

What I really need is a way to improve my cardio without really doing cardio....let's see what my trainer has to say about that. Ha!

This morning was one of those fun workouts. A couple ladies from my fitness friends group decided to "meet" for an early (5a!) walk.  My walking buddies were fellow bloggers Desiree and Meg. Louisiana, Michigan and Illinois represented.  Heat and humidity represented. We started up a group text and away we went. My husband got me set up to voice text which definitely helped.

First a pre-workout selfie. Ninety percent of selfies I take have a glasses and no glasses version. With glasses or without?  

It was a bit surreal to be "walking" with friends hundreds of miles away. Not quite the same as actually walking together but close.
I think these blue lights are to show support of police officers. It is a nice idea, but for some reason I have always found blue lights to be a bit creepy. I don't know why, I just am weirded out by them.
Speaking of creepy, there is a little stretch of the loop with no houses because of a bit of a ravine. I am always on alert that someone could jump out of the bushes/woods there. And where does this "sidewalk" lead?  I think I will never know...not getting any closer. 
About 2/3 of the way through the walk my husband called to say he was finished at the gym and was walking to meet us.  Millie was so happy with my husband because I was a big ol' meanie and left her home. (too hard to walk, text, take pics and mind her.)  She was not happy with him, however, when they turned back for home and I went around another block or two.
Now I remember why I like morning walks so much.

 
Bunnies and squirrels were everywhere. Some even hanging out together.
  Look who is waiting in the window.  She forgave me pretty quickly :)
2.3 miles done. Here is a a little perspective on the humidity and the power of getting your sweat on.... (notice my "who-hair" in the before pic - in the second pic it flattened by sweat).
I can't wait to walk with these ladies again!  


I almost ended a blog post without any food pictures...gasp!  These two pics pretty much sum it up - repeats. For some reason the kale I bought this week does not wilt down much. Basically looks like I am having a breakfast salad...not necessarily a bad thing.
Lasagna again. I still like it, but I am a variety girl. The veggies this time were odds and ends - beans, asparagus, cucumbers and peppers. This particular meal was eaten instead of me ordering pizza with the work group. I felt good about that decision because this weekend we have a couple celebrations  (a birthday and a graduation) and I am not sure exactly what I will be eating for those. This gives me a little more wiggle room and less stressing.
On a final note:  I am SUPER proud of my husband. He just finished a 3 month exercise program - it is some seriously intense HIIT and strength training workouts. This morning he did the "final exam."  He had to do the following in less than 25 minutes to pass:  10 push-up burpees, 10 dumbbell squats, 10 inverted rows and 10 Russian v-up twists - repeated 12 times!!! He finished in 18 minutes 46 seconds!! I can't even begin to fathom that. I am ridiculously proud of that guy. For his celebration dinner he has requested homemade pizza. Let the pizza grilling begin :)

I am so ready for the weekend...what do you have planned?

12 comments:

  1. Ahh yea, my cardio is depressing too how far its backslid, but the important thing is that we are working our way back to where we were before. It WILL get easier. Congratulations to Gary! What an amazing improvement for him! That's fantastic!
    It was so much fun walking with you ladies this morning! Almost makes the 4:30 am wake time more bearable! (almost!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will absolutely get back there :) Hope we can walk "together" again soon.

      Delete
  2. Group walks....how fun! I wasn't texting with you ladies, but just so you know I was walking at that time too. You can add Missouri to your list. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so adorable and so brutally honest. I am so proud of the progress you are making especially with having your husband as your trainer. That can be tricky sometimes.
    As far as cardio that doesn't feel like cardio maybe try doing the elliptical ..
    it will increase your cardio but you don't have so much jumping around to do. Unfortunately it's steady state and not hiit, but it's a start.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has had its tricky moments, but I think we are in the groove now (mostly). I try to be honest and hopefully help others realize they are not alone in feeling like it is too hard sometimes. Hopefully, I don't scare anyone away.

      Delete
  4. You should be so proud of yourself! I am climbing back on the wagon again after taking many months off. It's not easy, but it has to be done. I love that your husband is training you... that is awesome! Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Deb. Glad you are getting back in the swing of things. It is tough be we can do it :)

      Delete
  5. CONGRATS to your husband! That is awesome!!

    It is easy to forget how much we like something until we start doing it again. Glad you had a good walk.

    p.s. That ravine is something out of a horror movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now all I have to do is get myself out of bed early on a more regular basis.

      Delete
  6. I really appreciate your honesty about how difficult these workouts are for you. I've just started back on my fitness journey after at least a year and a half off. I'm struggling too but it's nice to know I'm not alone. And I give you credit - those plank jacks sound brutal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks for saying that...that was exactly what I want to do. If I struggle and keep going maybe someone else will be inspired to hang in there.

      Delete