Thursday, August 21, 2014

Contemplating Progress

The progress pictures I posted yesterday have really gotten me thinking. After seeing the difference for myself in the pictures it made me wonder how those around me haven't seemed to notice. Is it because my husband has lost much more dramatically than I have, so they are noticing him?  It might be harder to look thinner next to a slim husband :)

Today I had to make a trip to our main office. I don't get over there more than every couple of weeks so I thought someone might "notice" because they don't see me on a day-to-day basis.  I was talking with one lady moment for a few minutes.  We got on the subject of yard sales and old clothes.  She mentioned that she has about 3 sizes in her closet to cover weight fluctuations. I thought that might be the time she said something.  She didn't.  I shared that my husband had lost weight over the summer and we cleaned out his drawers/closet and got rid of a bag full of too-big clothes.  Again, I thought that might be a point when she would say something. Nothing.

Meg (love her blog!) commented yesterday that people may just hesitate to say anything as to not offend. My guess is there real truth in that theory. I have had people ask me in the past if I have lost weight and if I hadn't, I wondered if they were being sincere or just trying to hint that I should lose weight. We are just so touchy about the subject. Being overweight seems to be the most personal sort of failure - there doesn't seem to be anyone else to "blame" for our weight (except genes and the Frito Lay company!)

Clothes are a serious issue for me. I am not much of a shopper and am not confident in my style. I tend to buy something just because it fits on my body instead of hunting down clothes that really work for me. For as long as I can remember, I have had several sizes of clothes in my closet.  I have been guilty on many occasions of buying something that I can "almost" get into.  Now that I am down to a low I haven't been to in years I am finding I can finally wear some of those items.  However, they aren't necessarily the best fit since I couldn't actually try them at the time I bought them.  I was just guessing how they would look on me.

Even though it is nice to not have to spend the extra money while I am still losing, I am looking forward to getting some new clothes not only fit, but flatter. I might need a personal stylist :)

I admit the topic of being noticed is somewhat superficial.  Ultimately, is my success dependent on whether or not those around me are praising me?  No. Is it nice to hear?  Absolutely!  Thankfully, I do have a husband and family who have been very supportive and encouraging.

And much to my surprise I found you guys. Your support and kind words have made me smile many times. I had blogged for almost a month before anyone seemed to be reading it.  Although I liked blogging from the start, it is so much more fun when you are getting to know and interact with others who "get it." A big mushy "thank you!" to you all.  

We have gone swimming a couple times this week at the gym. I am not a strong swimmer...more of a doggie paddle kind of girl. I try to alternate between running in the water and swimming.  Then I take breaks to work on abs.  It is a nice change up.


Since vacation I haven't been in my walking routine. Who knows what is going on in the neighborhood without my daily investigative reporting??? I need to get on it though because we are signing up for another 5K.  This one will benefits a humane society and you can run/walk with your dog. We haven't told Millie yet, but I know she will love it :)


6 comments:

  1. Yes please, get back to investigating so we know the down low on all your neighborhood happenings!

    Thank you so much for the sweet shout out. I am glad you have a supportive husband and family who notice the change and cheer you on. And heck yeah, having the blogging world makes a HUGE difference.

    Yay swimming! I love swimming. Our pool is an outdoor pool so we only have 12 more days before it closes for the season. I might have to join an actual gym, we'll see. I know it sounds weird but if you want to really up a pool workout you could invest in a pair of flippers and a kickboard, or at least just the kick board. Whew, now that's a leg workout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I think I will be back on that investigation Monday. I am having a yard sale this weekend, so this morning I worked on that instead of working out.

      I do like the swimming, but I think I might need a lesson or two - especially on breathing. The gym actually lays out a bunch of flippers, boards, paddles, noodles for use in the pool :) I tried the kickboard - lots of kicking not much forward movement...I will keep working on it.

      Delete
  2. You know what's funny. People didn't notice with me until I hit around the 40 + pounds lost mark. And I think I *may* have an idea why. I know before, I've dropped 20lbs and then gained it all back so if they see the yo-yo cycle, I guess maybe it was a bit more obvious when I got to the point where I kinda was forced to buy new clothes and then voila! People noticed.

    Ahh I am really wanting to get in the pool for a swim. I have not done it one time yet this year. I'm actually off from work on Monday so I think I WILL get out there and do it then!

    OH I love that you will get to do a 5K with Miss Millie! How awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about that but I have gone up and down plenty - so it is harder to tell. I will let you know when I get my first random "notice" :)

      I hope Millie doesn't act too crazy with all the other dogs - she wants to play with everyone.

      Delete
  3. I really do think that Meg is right. I had a couple of friends tell me that they were hesitant to say anything because they didn't want to be offensive. I think as long as you keep going and keep your nose to the grindstone, you'll be getting noticed left and right for all of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. In the end, I am doing all the work for me, so the "notice" doesn't really matter - it is just fun to hear :)

      Delete