Friday, August 22, 2014

Moving Forward

I am just going to say from the beginning this is is going to sound like blogging TMI, but I promise it really isn't!  My husband and I have a double bed from the 1950's era.  I bought it from a friend - she had inherited it from her in-laws.  It is actually the same as the bedroom furniture my mom got in high school/college. I have had it for about 10-12 years (much longer than I have had my husband).  I love that bed. 

Well, several months ago it broke. For the record, I was not even home when it broke (see, no tmi).  Since then we have been sleeping on the mattress on the floor.  We have talked about buying a new bed, but can't decide what to get. If we are going to spend the money for a new bed it would be nice to upgrade to a queen size bed.  However, the bedroom in our current house is too small for a queen.  We hope to move in the not so distant future. So the dilemma - buy another double bed now or tough it out until we move and get a queen bed?  So far we have done nothing. 

Last night we were moving some stuff around for our upcoming (tomorrow) yard sale. While moving the broken bed pieces it suddenly dawned on me that my husband's father is a woodworker.  Maybe he could repair it.  Last night he came by to drop off some tables for the yard sale and we asked him. He inspected the damage and didn't seem too optimistic, but took the pieces home to his shop. 

This morning he informs me he thinks it is fixed. He had to do some gluing. As soon as the glue is good and dry we could have a bed again. I am beyond excited!!!

I think we have also had in the back of our minds that we might need a sturdier bed since we are not the tiniest people :)  In light of something my husband said the other day I am hopeful. Perhaps our poor bed will be happier when it realizes since we last slept in it, we have lost very close to a combined 100 pounds.  How crazy is that??!!? 

Even though I know how much we have each lost I didn't add it together.  My husband has lost 70.4 pounds and I have lost 27.8 - combined we have lost 98.2 pounds (seriously, that is almost 100 pounds). My husband brought this to my attention the other day when I was lamenting the fact that we didn't get much accomplished this summer. 

He replied "we've lost almost a 100 pounds - that is a huge accomplishment."  He is absolutely right!  But I was thinking more of home improvement type things at the time. The working out, extra meal planning and preparation has taken a bite out of our free time, so we didn't do home improvement this summer.

Now that we have adjusted a little more to our new lifestyle we are working on some plans to move forward with home improvement. Priority number one is to replace our shed. We don't have a basement or a garage, so storage space is at an absolute premium.  Our current shed is falling apart, way too small and all around hideous.

We have picked out a shed that we both like.  As I am preparing for the yard sale, I am looking at everything with a plan in mind - keep in house, put in shed, sell or trash?  It feels so good to have a plan. I am inspired to pare down and organize.  I can't wait to get bicycles out of the living room. 

Hurray for accomplishments and moving forward!  Have a great weekend :)




8 comments:

  1. 100 pounds ?? thats amazing.. you guys rock !! your hubby is so right ... and the bed will thank you !!! have a great yard sale... wish i could come and shop !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I couldn't believe it either. The yard sale went well. Didn't make a ton of cash, but got rid of a bunch of stuff.

      Delete
  2. Holy crap that is fabulous! Good for you too!

    I love planning future home improvement projects! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Planning is fun, but the executing can be a bit unnerving :)

      Delete
  3. How do you sleep on a double bed!?!?! My Fella and I have a King and some nights that isn't big enough for as much as we like to sprawl out!

    And well done. 100 pounds total is huge for two people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we are pretty compact sleepers. Probably the main reason for us to get a bigger bed is when Millie is with us :)

      Delete
  4. Wow almost a combined 100 pounds! That's amazing! Good luck with the yard sale and (eventual) possible move! I'm sure you guys will love having your bed back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can't believe it. I am very happy to be in a real bed again :) The yard sale went well and I am so glad it is over and I can reclaim my living room!

      Delete